Thursday 20 May 2010

The Dvd case










So I finished my animation with some time to spare, so I might as well begin a design for my DVD case, to be honest, from the very beginning I knew how the design would go. So I began some quick plans for my little DVD case, which consisted of a few sketches in my sketch book.
One thing for certain...it was going to look like a cog from my animation.

Step 1: Cardboard...I needed to cut out the shapes using cardboard which was not that easy to do, but after countless moans I finally got the shapes cutout and they looked promising.

Step 2: Plan an open and close mechanism...This actually puzzled me for awhile, I wasn't too sure how I would go about opening and closing the DVD case, should it have a hinge so it opens like a traditional CD case or should I go for a different route, well it seems going for a lid kind of CD case was ideal, it took some time for the actual lid plan to be made...but I somehow managed.

Step 3: More layers! I decided to *ahem* add some protection to the case so I decided to use the protective material you get with fragile items, it didn't exactly cut right but I managed to cover it up.

Step 4: Make it look interesting... Well I originally wanted to cover the DVD case with aluminium foil to make it look all shiny and slick, I realised that playing with foil like that is so hard to control and with my Patience span...I quickly ditched that plan and decided to paint the thing black and end it there...for now...

Step 5: Stencil front cover, so just the black paint on its own really didn't do much to makes things interesting so I decided to stencil out the title of the animation and maybe make some shapes too, looks good so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment