Thursday 11 March 2010

F.M.P thoughts.

F.M.P Proposal

Our final major project is based on D.N.A, at first I thought it was going to be limiting and constricting but, after some more thought, there is a lot of things to do with D.N.A since almost everything is made of D.N.A. Which cause a new problem, multiple ideas, as soon as the doors opened my mind began developing many different ideas, which causes much confusion and stress to decide which of the ideas to choose and follow.

My very first idea was to create a series of characters, made of different shapes on Adobe Illustrator and each representing a different ‘trait’. When I say ‘trait’ I mean characteristic, as in violence, love, hatred, anger, etc. The character are meant to have a sense of humour about them and not take things too seriously, so in making the characters made of different shapes adds a sense of childishness to it. Was planning on using simple contrasting colours black on white with some shapes made of red and yellow. I also want to keep things simple and clean, and not allow things to get too crowded on the pieces, but I also want a sense of technicality to them, of course this depends on further development of my designs.

My second idea is almost similar to my previous, still keeping my character illustrations intact also the humour, all I was going to do was change the overall concept of the design, changing it from character traits to a show of the Alphabet, A-Z each with a childlike take on the classic layout of the children’s version, ‘A’ for apple, etc. Of course I wouldn’t leave it at that, I would change the overall Imagery that would go with each of the Alphabet, to a more Adult imagery, for example I had for the letter ‘A’, one of my illustrations choking on a piece of apple. I don’t expect kids to see things. Obviously there were some issues with this idea, an apple doesn’t relate to D.N.A to well so I would have to think of other ways of presenting the Alphabet.

Plan three, I thought maybe I can look at a more non digital format like a painting, I believe that I have some potential on my observations drawing skills, so I thought maybe I can draw something from nature, like a tree or something relevant. Maybe a family tree? I thought it would be interesting to create a big piece of artwork and it would consist of a very big and very detailed tree. I would need to include some of my background in the tree so I was planning of having some of my family members sitting in the tree and the tree would be divided in to two and half would be my Arabic background and the other side could be my English background. I would need to gain possession of some family pictures if I were to draw from reference material, I have found out that its not that easy to get a hold of some family pictures at the moment, since I live on my own and away from my family, so it’s hard to get pictures of each in the correct pose I would need them to be in. I wanted to create this piece as big as I can maybe around four A1’s combining together to create a very big piece e of artwork. The piece itself was going to be filled with many different techniques I learnt from my years of drawing, different materials, different techniques. I think it would be a very interesting piece at the end but I do think that there are some errors, for one it might not be graphic enough, it sounds more of an Art and Design project, also one false move and I could corrupt the whole thing so some perfect planning would need to be exorcised .

Moving on to idea generation four, since someone else in the group was focusing on family tree’s I quickly abandoned my previous idea due to lack of originality, so I decided to still focus on the tree theme but look at how I can produce a final outcome in a different manner and maybe more digitally. So I thought ‘mosaic’ made of thousands of different photos of trees, photos taken by myself obviously, for I wouldn’t think that it would show effort if I used other peoples photos for my F.M.P. I’m no professional in the creation of mosaics but I had an interest in some of them, and how they can create some interesting pieces of art. I had a little practice session with some photos I pulled from the interest and copied and pasted them until I had a lot, when I say a lot I mean to the point where I encountered my first issue with this idea and that was, my pc could not handle the sheer amount of information that was going on at the time, and it eventually crashed. Now I’m confident that it wasn’t my pc’s fault since I just bought a brand new pc. So I thought it might be a problem if I can’t work on my F.M.P at home so I need to move alone from this idea, I will keep it in mind.

The final decision, I’m confident that I will have to stick to my strengths and so far I have received positive feedbacks from my character Illustrations , so I’m going to go back to using them and try to create something out of them. An animation! Yes an animation could be very doable and would work nicely; obviously it’s going to be a 2-D animation, using After Effects. I’m going to create a circle of life style theme, where the animation will start off with a baby and it grows until it reaches to the point of fatherhood, and it loops over again. Again I will try and keep to the humour to keep things entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment