Sunday 28 March 2010

Tom Purvis






A little bit different to simple shapes but I might aswell mention Tom Purvis. I have to admit that his poster work for different holiday locations hold some of the most impressive colours I have seen in designs, not say it's the 'best' but its worth commenting on. The block out colours of the different illustrations work so well with the colour schemes, they contrast well with the surrounding colours to give off a simple shape, or form.
The illustrations are on border between realism and, well, 'stylised'... I don't want to use the word 'cartoony' sounds too childish.
I think the colours and illustrations really capture each loctions feel, obviously I haven't been to any of the areas, but I can just imagine and feel the mood by just looking at these really old posters.
Tom Purvis (1888- 1959)

No comments:

Post a Comment